Friday, May 30, 2008

Peace Corps Timeline

May 30, 2008 -- Submit personal & health application

May 30, 2008 -- First recommendation completed

June 2, 2008 -- Added 4th recommendation; Second recommendation completed; Application received by Denver recruiting office

June 3, 2008 -- Confirmed that my massive amount of student loans can be deferred during PC service! YAY!

June 5, 2008 -- Received legal forms in mail

June 6, 2008 -- Submitted requests for K-State, JCCC, and KU transcripts; fingerprinted; NAC forms completed

June 9, 2008 -- Spoke with recruiter and was notified that interview will most likely be in late July; got toolkit username and password

June 10, 2008 -- KU transcript in: 1 down, 2 to go

June 11, 2008 -- K-State transcript in: 2 down, 1 to go

June 13, 2008 -- JCCC transcript in: 3 in, 0 to go; waiting on third recommendation before I mail back legal packet.

June 14, 2008 -- Received toolkit name and password in the mail.

June 20, 2008 -- Third recommendation completed; mailed legal packet to recruiter

June 27, 2008 -- Got a voice mail from my recruiter that my packet arrived and am setting up an (in person!) interview for the end of July.

June 30, 2008 -- Interview scheduled!!! July 28!!

July 28, 2008 -- Interview with recruiter :)

July 28, 2008 -- *tentatively* Nominated! Eastern Europe - Caucus Region, TEFL, late-September '09

August 4, 2008 -- Got a call from my recruiter. All "gerneralist programs" (TEFL, Community Development, etc) are suspended indefinitely while the budget is re-worked. Will give me a call when my program re-opens. See "Nomination - bad news, darn government" for more info.

September 8, 2008 -- Received my official nomination today! Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), Health, Aug 2009.

September 13, 2008 -- Received medical forms in mail (there're a lot of them)!

December 15, 2008 -- Finally mailed my medical forms to the PC medical office. I was really busy with school and a couple of doctors took their time filling out the forms. But it's in the mail now! woo hoo!

December 28, 2008 -- Dental clearance :)

December 30, 2008 -- PC "officially" received my medical forms.

February 6, 2009 -- Awoke to find that my toolkit updated to show: "Complete. A decision has been reached regarding your medical review. Please look for a letter in the mail." next to my medical section. Ominous and cryptic, but I shall find out in the next couple of days.

February 9, 2009 -- Got a letter in the mail today from the OMS: The Office of Medical Services is pleased to inform you that you have been medically qualified for service [...]. You will now move to the next step in the process, the Office of Placement. woo hoo!

February 12, 2009 -- Received an email from my PO today. She told me that she'll hopefully start looking at my file in the next 4-ish weeks!

March 12, 2009 -- PO says they'll hopefully start my review in 4 more weeks.

March 26, 2009 -- Emailed recommendation from my current ESL supervisor to my PO. I'm hoping to actually get into a TEFL program rather than a health extension program, so I hope that this will help!

April 21, 2009 -- received an email from the placement office requesting an "updated professionally formated resume" and a copy of my transcript showing that I've graduated.

April 22, 2009 -- Sent placement office my updated resume and my file is now being passed to my PO for a final placement review and invitation!

May 15, 2009 --
Received an email from my PO letting me know that he'd begin my final application review on the 18th.

May 18, 2009 -- Received an email from my PO early this morning letting me know that my invitation is in the mail!

May 20, 2009 -- INVITATION! Uganda :) *I still can't believe it only took 2 days to get here!*

May 21, 2009 -- Called to accept invitation.

May 26, 2009 -- Aspiration statement and resume submitted.

May 30, 2009 -- Passport and visa applications submitted. It's been exactly one year since I submitted my application :)

July 30, 2009 -- Fly to Philly to stay with my sister for a few days before Staging.

August 4, 2009 -- STAGING!!

August 5, 2009 -- *sings* I'm leaving on a jet plane.....! (Leave for Entebbe, Uganda, via Brussels)